Friday, July 30, 2010

Getting a Job as an Addict

As I described in an earlier post, the vocational educator at PSI invited me to help facilitate the "transition groups" she leads. These groups are designed for the patients who are getting ready to graduate from the treatment program and need to learn practical skills to help them succeed once they reenter society. This week, the transition group focused on filling out a job application and preparing for a job interview. As if the job market weren't tough enough already, many of the patients here face additional obstacles to finding employment. First of all, they have all been unemployed for at least the year they have lived at PSI. Many have not graduated from high school or earned a GED. Some have been fired from previous jobs for performance issues or drug problems. The majority have been incarcerated at some point in their lives, and some have serious charges, like felonies, on their criminal record.

During the group, the vocational educator gave the residents advice for how to address negative aspects of their background on the job application and in the interview. Here are some of my favorite tips:
  • Do not offer any information that was not specifically asked about. For example, if a job application asks if you have been convicted of a felony in the last 5 years, but your felony was 7 years ago, it is perfectly acceptable to answer 'no' and leave it at that.
  • Whenever you can, try to make the reason you were terminated from your previous job sound as neutral as possible. For example, if several people were let go at the same time as you, you can state the company was downsizing. If you moved to a different state after you were fired, you can say that you relocated. If you did not get along with your supervisor, you can say you were let go for political reasons. You can stretch the truth, but whatever reason you give must have some truth to it in case your new employer checks up on you.
  • If asked directly about negative information by an interviewer, you should acknowledge it, briefly describe it, and then move on to talking about something positive. For example, "Yes, I was laid off from my previous job because of a drug problem. At that time, my addiction caused me to be late or absent frequently. However, I have been clean and sober for two years now, and I have a reference from my treatment program that states my attendance and punctuality have been perfect."
I am impressed by this advice. I think they are all great strategies to help the patients present themselves in the best possible light. At the same time, I am trying to view this situation from an employer's perspective. If I had two equal job candidates, except one was an addict with a criminal record, and the other was neither of these things, I think I would be inclined to pick the latter. If you didn't take the time to get to know the patients - how they are truly reformed, and very kind, hard-working individuals - I can see how you might be disinclined to hire them. The patients here are going to have to work incredibly hard to show future employers how dedicated they are, perhaps by first interning or volunteering at the company where they want to work. Hopefully their employers will see the potential that I see in them, and these patients will be able to support themselves and lead sober, healthy lives.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of a project from high school. How do help men who look homeless get jobs? If they look homeless (unshaven, smelly, bad clothes), no one will hire them. The project was to figure out exactly what was going to be done, the specifics, and implement them, to end a bad cycle for such people.

    The devil in the detail was, of course, who was taking it seriously, where did you draw the line in not helping people (because maybe they had violent tendencies, substance abuse, etc.). Everyone makes some cutoff of "I will not help you in these circumstances because you're not helping yourself" or "I will not help you because I don't feel safe" or "I will not help you because there are those who are trying harder and deserve my time more."

    I am cheap cop-out. I don't answer difficult questions, I just do quantum mechanics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dancing_Scientist, that sounds like a really intense project, especially for high school! Love the last line of your comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and I just started following your blog. I love what you have been doing this summer. In regards to this post, the three points that were made during the group are solid and straightforward approaches to the interview process and I think they would be effective. In regards to an employer having two exactly qualified applicants and only one position to fill, why not hire the person with the drug history? In fact, I personally might be more inclined to hire someone with a drug past. The reason: they have overcome intense adversity and I know that if they continue to stay clean, they will be as tough as they come. Also, and I was just thinking about this the other day, if someone has a felony on their record for let's say drugs or theft or something non-violent like that, why should it be hard for them to get jobs? Isn't it the best for the individual and for society at large to ensure that someone who was just released from prison immediately finds good work? As long as they did not physically hurt anyone or scam their last company or something like that I don't see the problem. It should be about performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, thanks so much for following my blog! You make a very interesting point. In an ideal world, employers would think along those lines and give people a chance to start new.

    ReplyDelete