Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Back On Track

After an incredibly refreshing vacation visiting family and friends, I'm back, hard at work at PSI. My Health Literacy class resumed yesterday, with a great deal of success! A huge heat wave hit NYC yesterday, with temperatures in the triple digits. Since the location where I usually hold the class is not air-conditioned, I was a little worried that it would be cancelled on me again. I was not about to let that happen, so I made sure I could hold my class in a space with AC.


Yesterday our objective was to "look up information about HIV/AIDS medication side effects in a table." First we went over what the different side effects were, so the residents became familiar with medical jargon like "hepatotoxicity" (liver illness) and "lipodystrophy" (changes in fat distribution). Then I showed them how to read a table by first reading the column and row headings, then tracing over with your finger to find the correct information. The table we used was no joke - it was a pretty complicated and packed with information (see below, from http://www.health.state.ny.us/publications/9408.pdf).  I would ask them things like "Name 2 medicines that can cause both rash and sleeping problems," a daunting task for someone that is a struggling reader. The residents earned an average of a 95% on the quiz! They keep pleasantly surprising me with the hard work they put into the assignments I give them.

7 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to hold the class. How many people came? Did you have any no-shows because of the problems encountered before your break?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned that they are struggling readers. Concerning their education...

    Is there an average with a small standard deviation, such that their needs are somewhat universal, or is there a high standard deviation, and everyone's needs are quite specific?

    Assuming there is a small standard deviation, at what reading level are your students?

    Do you think of them as patients?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanie, I still am having a big problem with no-shows :(

    Dancing_Scientist, I haven't formally assessed their reading levels. However, from working with them for a few weeks, I would say they are on average at about a 4th grade level, with a fairly small standard deviation. I have only encountered 2 people who were completely illiterate (who have since dropped out of my class), and maybe 1 person who can read very well. Also, I do think of them as patients, especially since we discuss their health frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to hear that your students are working hard. I think it would be worth it to encourage them to find leisure reading material as a way to improve and increase their appetites for reading. You could bring in magazines or see if the center has a library that your class could visit. I realize time is very valuable, but this would also be a way for them to continue their literacy progress after your fellowship ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The results seem very impressive for a 4th grade reading level! You must be doing a very good job.

    I wonder if there exists (or is even worth doing) a way to know to what extent they learn from you, and then act on it accordingly. For example, I "know" that I should eat less than I do each day, but I don't necessarily do that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pfft. Instead of asking for the names of the drugs, you should ask them:

    What is the mechanism of action of the drugs that would have adverse reactions if co-administered the two drugs that cause rashes and sleeping problems?

    Now THAT'S a question Garrett would be proud of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Collin, you are right, that is such a great idea! Thank you for your suggestion.

    Dancing_Scientist, I'm not sure there is an accurate way of assessing that. Here at PSI, nurses give them their meds and make sure they're correctly following treatment. What they're learning in my class will not really be applicable until after they leave PSI and are navigating the health care system on their own.

    Marc, thanks for stopping by my blog! I'll be sure to put that question on my next quiz, followed by 100 exclamation points to really make Garrett proud. :)

    ReplyDelete