Tuesday, June 15, 2010

5 Things I Learned My 1st Year of Med School

I'm taking a break from discussing my summer project, because I feel the need to reflect on this huge thing that happened yesterday - I finished my first year of med school. I heard somewhere that a first year med student learns 10,000 new facts, which seems about right. Somewhere in between all of the cadaver dissections, lectures, shadowing, and labs, I learned some lessons that can't be found in any medical textbooks.

1. People will get naked in front of you. I mean this both figuratively and literally. I was shadowing a doctor during one of the first weeks of school, and the doctor was about to give a physical exam. The elderly female patient simply started removing all of her clothing, and I had this urge to look away before I realized that I was supposed to look. In addition, during practice patient interviews for my courses, patients revealed things about their personal, psychiatric, or sexual history that they may not even tell their spouses or their best friends. When you are wearing your white coat, patients will automatically trust you and have faith that you know what you are doing. Who am I to have earned this privilege to hear and see the most intimate details of people's lives?

2. Medicine is messy. As a wise doctor once said to me, "Med students choose their specialty based on which body fluid they least hate to put their hands in." When I was shadowing a Cesarean section, the doctor let me hold the suction tube to suck up the excess blood (similar to what you'd see at a dentist's office to suck up excess drool). I was doing a great job as she was masterfully slicing through the layers of skin, fat, and muscle to get to the uterus. Then, the intern turned to me and said, "Get ready to suck." A half second later, the doctor nicked the amniotic sac, and it was suddenly like trying to suck up a waterfall with an eyedropper. After moments of futile trying, the doctor hastily grabbed the suction away from me and did it herself. The intern was right - I did suck.

3. To the patient, this is a big deal. No matter how many appendixes you have removed, or how many times you've had to break the news that the fetus has Down Syndrome, the patient is experiencing one of the most significant events in their lives. I have heard enough patient stories now to know that some doctors forget this fact. When I was facing some health problems of my own this year, I was having a simple procedure done that I knew (from a med student's perspective) was not a big deal. However, as a patient, I was scared out of my mind. I realized to be a good doctor is to be able to see things from the patient's perspective.

4. Ignore the gunners. For those of you not in med school, a gunner is a med student who is an obnoxious overachiever. They probably said they wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon or dermatologist on the first day of med school. They probably started studying for their MCAT as freshmen in college. They look at you with disdain when you tell them you don't like to read the textbook or didn't study last Saturday night. Although difficult, I had to learn to ignore these people to preserve my sanity. I had to get over the fact that it is truly impossible to learn all of the material presented. There are 3 more years of med school for a reason - we're not expected to have everything memorized the first time around. It was much more worth my time to maintain good relationships with friends and family and to relax on the weekends than it was to study. Balance is essential.

5. I am in the right place. This past year has been the most fulfilling and rewarding year of my life. I have had so many moments where I have just known that this is where I am supposed to be. For the first time in my life, I don't feel like the goal of what I'm doing is to get to someplace else. I'm already here.

13 comments:

  1. Excellent post!
    Congratulations on being done with MS1. Good luck for the coming ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I think I'm a gunner, but i didn't know that english word LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being done! =)

    Were you as surprised as I was by how messy and brutal C-Sections are? I've seen a few other surgeries but the C-Section was a much, much different thing!

    - Aba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance is one of the most important abilities you can achieve in life. Whether it is family or work, fruit or candy, reading or reality TV, having balance in your life can get you through things you thought you never could accomplish. Good for you, learning that lesson on your own so early in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! :)

    I totally agree with #3. Where I used to work the doctors were great at this, but the staff and nurse didn't really "get it." When patients got worried they'd get annoyed.

    I own hand-me-down MCAT and med school books and, I'll admit, I've perused...
    A real gunner scoffed when I mentioned my "studying is bad luck" philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arps - thank you and looking forward to reading YOUR blog as well ;)

    Anonymous - hey, whatever works for you. Just try not to stress out the non-gunners too much.

    Aba - you are SO right, I was shocked! Especially because the mom has no idea about the bloody mess on the other side of the curtain. I'm making every attempt to deliver vaginally after that.

    Jeanie - thanks for your wise words.

    Steph - perusing is OK, just don't drive yourself crazy over it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating stuff, who knew med students could be such great writers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Marianne,

    This is Hayley, Collin's cousin. I am enjoying reading your blog! Keep up the good writing!

    -Hayley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Collin thank you!

    Hayley - nice to hear from you! I'm loving your blog as well. The girls are beyond precious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Marianne. Congratulations on finishing your 1st year of med school. It only gets better from here!

    ~Stephen

    Stephen Griffith, MD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Concerning Point 1: I listen an economics podcast a lot, and they often discuss health care. One guest economist on the program had a really interesting opinion that pertains to point one. It was this gentleman's thesis that, given how much time people spend scanning prices of things like food or luxuries, and how little time people spend comparing the quality of health care from different doctors/hospitals, people do not want to think about their medical health. This economist believed that, unlike "normal" matters, people actively want to avoid thinking about medical matters, and just want to trust the doctor. People are willing to strip and share the details of their lives to a physician because, psychologically, we want to trust our health to someone else. We want a "higher power," who is "smarter" to "take care of us."

    Not saying I agree or disagree, but the parallel was interesting.

    I knew of the term "gunner" because of friends of mine in law school, I didn't know it was also used in medical school!

    -RMJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dancing_Scientist, that is interesting, and I think it's definitely true (at least from my own experience as a patient).

    ReplyDelete